Friday 28 January 2011

earthquake


Back to January 2000, I had a mission as a reporter for Iranian TV, to cover the earthquake in Qazvin and Zanjan provinces in western Iran. Several villages had been hit and some had been severely destroyed. While walking near one of those villages at night, I heard unexpected sounds at a distance of around half a mile. Automatically I headed towards the sounds. The light was actually for some cars gathered at the village's cemetery where also an excavator was working. The huge machine was digging long holes to be used as the tombs for several dead people! The religious man of the village, totally covered with dust, was praying for the dead bodies put along the tombs.
While moving around, I noticed a 10 years old boy sitting at a corner. He did not react to me or anything else. He was just looking straight ahead without any movement in his eyes. After a while, I realized the reason! There were five cadavers put in front of him. I heard from the people around me that the first one was his father, the second his mother and the others were his two brothers and his small sister.
I sat beside the boy for about ten minutes. I tried to find something to say to him.

I could not.
I still clearly remember the boy's face and his eyes.

No comments: